October 2, 2011

Volunteer Highlight - Barb Gabby


Barb Gaddy is an incredibly gifted seamstress, but most specifically, quilter. Through her W-CAP received many beautiful handmade quilts, pillowcases, lavalavas (sarongs) and donations to bless the lives of many in need. She also taught the women in micro-enterprise classes how to sew bags of all styles and shapes to sell to the tourists. Barb was the genius, along with Melinda Temple, in designing and sewing the puppets for the Tsunami Puppet Show. She blessed W-CAP with donations, sewing supplies, fabrics, teaching skills and many, many more creative ideas of what to make and sell for micro-enterprise.

Barb has been sewing since she was very young.  In fact, she made all of her clothes for college.  Now, she mostly quilts and loves to do crafts.  She has her blog that she updates regulalry - Bejeweled Quilts by Barb.  We are grateful she has included a donation button for W-CAP on her blog!
 
Barb and her family left the Island last November. W-CAP suffered a huge loss when she left us, but she continues to bless us with the many who learned to sew from her efforts and through donations she continues to send.
 
In Barb's own word "I will say that living in Samoa was one of the most awesome experinces of my life.  I truly miss the island and everyone.  I would come back in a heart beat."
 
A special hats off to Barb! Thanks for sharing your amazing talents.

1 comment:

  1. What a shock to see my face plastered in my goodle reader....and yes, I would come back in a heart beat....I miss the island and my wonderful friends.

    ReplyDelete